Search This Blog

Thursday, December 12, 2019

3d Printed, 6mm Snake Rail Fence (and use your local library!)

(Note: yes, I know this is a distraction and pulling my limited spare time from my main project, but... this is awesome!  We will be returning to our regularly scheduled programming soon)

I finally decided to give 3d printing a try.  What pushed me over the edge is my wife is now working for the county library system, and they just so happen to have a "Maker Space" at the main branch that includes three 3D Printers!  You can print at $1.50 an hour, and this is a great way to try 3D printing before you invest in a printer or a way to get a few terrain pieces cheap.


Contact your local public library and see if they have something similar!

I am eventually going to finish my 6mm Rebels and Patriots project, so for a proof of concept, I decided to print some 6mm split rail fences.  I found exactly what I needed for FREE on Thingiverse HERE.  All I had to do was download the files, copy them to a thumb drive, and take them in.  The ones below took 2 hours to print and only cost me $3.00!



Here is one of the sections, which is about 100mm / 4 inches long, with painted (but not flocked) Baccus AWI militia, on 3mm thick bases, to give you an idea.

I am trying to stay focused on my 3mm East Front project. so I have not painted these yet.  But they are waiting for me in a drawer for when I am.  The files at the link above have a few different styles and lengths to meet your needs.

So... Guess what I am getting for Christmas!  Now back to trying to wrap up the Motor Rifle Brigade of my Tank Corps...

Good Gaming!

6 comments:

  1. Is that one big chunk of fence that you have to cut out, Patrick? If so, how hard was it to separate the runs?

    I've been printing for "free" for a while now. My printer was bought with credit card points as was all of my PLA spools. It's well worth it. Live off of a rewards credit card that Amazon accepts points for. Buy everything through Amazon spending said points. Remain fiscally responsible by paying off that credit card every month. Enjoy "free" gaming stuff. :D

    Those do look good. I can imagine they will paint up well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your strategy! We use our Amazon card too and i am always surprised how fast the points build up for "free" stuff. Of course being able to print the exact terrain I want on demand is a cost saving too, right? Still trying to get my wife to buy that argument...

      The chunk on the bottom is I believe a "sled" to help with adhesion to the build plate. I do not think it is really needed if you take care of your build plate, and I could have removed it in the slicer software, except I gave my USB drive to the Librarian and she did the slicer. It was very easy to remove, but it is a waste of filament and print time.

      I think I am getting the same printer you have, a Crealty 3, correct?

      Delete
    2. Yep. CR-3 X or Pro or something. Mine came with a glass bed and a bunch of replacement nozzles.

      "sled" = "raft" in 3D printing terms. The raft is used typically to prevent model edges from curling up as they cool off. For small models like these it's kind of a must.

      You will be building the Ender-3 yourself. It's not difficult but i do recommend you go to youtube and find an instruction video. The written instruction sheet is a bit confusing in places.

      Delete
    3. Ahhh... I see that makes sense. I fully expect to enjoy a nice learning curve. I will grab as many videos as I can, I hope I do a better job than I did doing an oil change on the lawn mower.

      Delete
  2. The fence looks very useful. No wonder you were easily distracted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must... Resist... I am promising myself that after I get the printer, I will concentrate on printing markers, etc for my current project first before I start spinning off on other stuff.

      Delete