Search This Blog

Sunday, October 20, 2019

New Project putting 6 x 6 challenge on hiatus... 3mm Eastern Front

Now on to my new project…

I am officially putting my 6 x 6 challenge on hold after only two measly games.  Why?  Not because I am losing my enthusiasm for the hobby, but because it has been reinvigorated!  Participating in the double-blind game at Southern Front has inspired me to develop my own game to take to conventions next year.  While Mike’s game was tactical, I plan to do this at a little different level.

In summary:

  • Eastern Front, 1942-44
  • 1 Base will = 1 maneuver company or artillery battalion
    • On a big 80mm x 40mm base because I like the look
  • 1 small base = 1 recon platoon
  • The rules will be very fast and inspired by 5Core Brigade Commander and Tank on Tank:East Front
  • They will play on a hex grid, to facilitate laying out identical terrain and speed up play
  • 1 hex = roughly 500 meters, with max 2 units in same he
Command friction will be the focus and will be provided by:
  • Multiple players per side (this by itself adds a lot)
  • Players will not know where the enemy is until spotted, recon is critical!
  • Players will not necessarily know when they have been spotted, so they will not know what the other guy knows about them!
  • Players will not know the exact results of their firing on the enemy
  • Must play fast, fast, fast
  • Some Logistics will be included as in an abstract manner

I have drafted rules and will post them after I have had a chance to do some playtests.

As a double-blind game involves painting twice the number of units you would normally, and I want a grand, sweeping look, I am using:

  • 3mm Picoarmor
  • Based on 80mm ovals (ovals look more like situation maps!)
  • On a 4-inch hex grid



Here are some shots of my first completed units.  I am aiming to give each player 6 - 8 elements to command, so this would be one command.  It is a Tank Brigade, a little understrength, with 2 x T-34 battalions, a motor rifle battalion, an armored car platoon, and a couple of logistics markers plus a duplicate version to use on the German table.

 Close up of 1 Tank Brigade.  3mm is not that photogenic, but at gaming distances, they look like an areal photo.  And the vehicle look more tactically spaced than hub to hub games.
 Motor Rifle Battalion.  SMG's, for rifle companies, I will add Maxim machine guns to distinguish them.
A battalion of T-34's, slightly out of focus so as not to give intelligence to the Fascist invader.


As you can see when I am done, I will have big forces for face to face games as well.  I have gotten a good start, considering I am balancing family, work, and grad school.  Stay tuned and I will do weekly updates and I hope to get the rules exercised next month.

I am tracking my progress via a Kanban Board HERE

Good gaming!

6 comments:

  1. If you do 6 playtest games, you can count that at one of the 6 rules completed. Of course, you then need to do another 6 games each with 5 other rules :-) 6x6 is all about getting to play and with the scope you have set yourself with the double-blind rules, I think you are doing just fine in that aspect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I never thought of that! That doubek blind convention game really got me fired up and so far I am maintaining momentum.

      Delete
  2. Good luck on this project. I like 3mm for WW2 Eastern front and am currently playing the Rommel rules with my tiny tanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Rommel sounds good and I will probably pick it up, I usually like Sam Mustafa's approach to things. Any pics you can share of your Eastern Front stuff?

      Delete
  3. Looking forward to your next post and the rules!
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir! I am working slowly but surely... stay tuned.

      Delete