Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Spot Report and List of my Wargaming Periods of interest

Work and vacation have interfered again with my hobby activities, but I will provide a quick spot report:

  • I finished reading Tank Warfare on the Eastern Front 1943-1945: Red Steamroller and I loved it.  I am an East Front novice, but I thought it was a well-written look at how not only the strategic and logistical tide shifted against the Germans but how the balance of tactical and operational competence shifted as well towards the Red Army.  I shall be reading more on the topic.
  • We vacationed on a cruise last week, it rained a lot but it gave me an opportunity to read most of The Complete Hammer's Slammers: Volume 3. I just so happen to have some Picoarmor Sci-Fi that looks close enough to work and now yet another project is tempting me.  Good writing by David Drake
  • I finally finished painting and basing my first set of 3mm US Army and NKPA troops for the Korean War, about a company per side at 1 base = 1 squad or a support weapon or vehicle.  Starting to fiddle with Hammer of Democracy, pictures will follow.
  • I did get two 3mm Industrial areas finished, based on 4" hexes.  Pictures will follow
We shared a table with an utterly charming family from the UK (Devon) on the cruise, and are now starting to lay the groundwork for a visit to Perfidious Albion probably next year.  They have graciously offered to help us build an itinerary and navigate the country.  Of course I am thinking about where I want to go.  Visions of Bovington Tank Museum and Baccus 6mm dance in my head.

I will wrap up with this.  As with most of us, I am fascinated with many different periods, which tends to make me spread myself too thin.  So, I thought I would list out to help stay focused.  By Thor, I have a lot of stuff (and I have thinned out over the last few years), am I not entertained ?!?!?!  I need to focus on playing and rules fiddling and painting and not acquisitions.

Until next time, good gaming!


Periods
(in Chronological Order)
Forces
All painted and ready to play unless indicated
Dark ages Circa AD 900 - AD 1100
Britain, Sicily / Mediterranean
6mm Normans
6mm Vikings (unpainted)
6mm Anglo-Saxons (unpainted)
6mm Late Byzantines (unpainted)
6mm Saracens (unpainted)
American War of Independence
Southern Campaign 1780-81
6mm Patriots
6mm British / Hessians / Loyalists
Also.. 6mm skirmish forces (unpainted)
Napoleonic Wars
1809 Campaign
6mm French
6mm Austrians (Painted, but need rebasing, could be used)
6mm Bavarians (unpainted)
Victoriana ~1860 - 1900
Darkest Africa
Victorian Science Fiction
28mm British and Askaris
28mm Explorers, Hunters, and Porters
28mm Zanzibar Slavers
28mm Rugga-Rugga
28mm Tribesmen
28mm Prussians
28mm Civilians, Scientists, Steam powered
Robots and contraptions
28mm London police, ladies of the night,
Jack the Ripper, and Sherlock Holmes and Co.
World War I (late 1916-18)
10mm British
10mm Germans
Interwar
1920-1938
3mm Interwar Imaginations, Ruritanian Elbonian War of 1925

28mm Pulp: More figures than I care to list for high
adventure with Nazis,
Mad scientists, Dagon Cultists, Canadian Mounted Police,
Hard Boiled Detectives, Dames, Gangsters, Fu Manchu,
Explorers, Pilots, Gypsies, Rocket Corps,  
and overlap with Victoriana above and much, much more
World War II
Eastern Front 1943-45
3mm Germans (unpainted)
3mm Soviets  (unpainted)
Korean War
1950-1953
3mm US Army and NKPA or CVF
(both are work in progress, but enough to play a game)

3mm Aircraft, Jets, B-29’s (unpainted)
Cold War
NATO Central Front 1980’s
3mm US Army
3mm Federal Republic of Germany
3mm Warsaw Pact

3mm NATO and Soviet aircraft (unpainted)
Misc
28mm Dinosaurs
28mm Various Monsters and Zombies
28mm Cows, bears, wolves, dogs, etc.

6mm Orcs (to fight 6mm dark ages troops in Middle Earth)

1 comment:

  1. Nice round up- good to see another Hammer's Slammers fan.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete