Search This Blog

Monday, April 12, 2021

Punitive Expedition: Attack on the Camp!

 I played the next battle in the Punitive Expedition Campaign twice, once with modified Squad Hammer and once with some homegrown rules I have just started fiddling with.  Here are the results and the progress our little column is making...

It was quiet... too quiet as Captain Barnaby of the Midsomer Yeomanry checked his askaris manning the perimeter.  The Zamunda Field Force was halfway to its objective of destroying the Slaver compound deep in the jungle.  Suddenly, the air was rent with the savage cries of Anzique cannibals!

The first time through I modified Squad Hammer.  It was very fast, and one of the Askari units broke and the cannibals made it into the camp before being shot down by the hunters held in reserve.  Of course, there are not a lot of tactical options in this scenario. 

The camp and the initial attack
The finale, with the elite warriors of the Anzique breaking into the camp
One of the QRS's I used

In the second battle, I started experimenting, at the behest of my wife, with a set of rules that only used cards, and all of the rules were printed on the cards.  It is in its very early stages and may lead nowhere, but I did a smaller game for round 2.


You can see a few of the cards I printed up
And here is the final charge.  The camp was successfully defended again.

I am not sure if I will pursue this project.  I think it has merit, but I will table it for now and pick it back up again later. I am going to try the next game I think with Sharp Practice 2.  I suspect I may be reinventing much of what it already covers.

Meanwhile, I slide down the chute after winning the battle...

And roll yet another 6 to make it to the next battle.
I swear I am not doctoring the rolls!

Until next time, good gaming!


4 comments:

  1. In the past I've enjoyed your AWI games and rules, and am now following your fun Snakes Ladders campaign. Thanks for posting and I cross fingers that the expedition will ultimately be successful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I intend to get back on the AWI horse again soon and I may pirate the great 18th century snakes and ladders campaign I saw over at Grid Based Wargaming.

      (This is Jozi's Tin Man by the way but on my wife's Chromebook, so I show up as her...)

      Delete
  2. Awesome! I’d love to do a similar campaign but using The Sword In Africa or TMWWBK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, you are too kind. I played the first battle using TMWWBK using half sized units as described in the rules under Skirmish Kings. The rules were great, but the units way to brittle in my opinion. I would keep using them if I has a larger table (the max I can go is 60" x 40" or more troops to use full sized units with.

    I have binned the idea of writing my own rules (for now) and will try Smooth & Rifled for my next outing. I lost my TSATF fules years ago, but might give The Sword in Africa a whirl.

    (This is Jozi's Tin Man by the way but on my wife's Chromebook, so I show up as her...)

    ReplyDelete