Search This Blog

Saturday, January 2, 2021

Reflecting on 2020 and Trench Hammer German Assault, 1917

First I want to thank my wife for giving me a wonderful 2020.  The current pandemic has really forced us to slow down and enjoy the important things in life.  We took up gardening, traveled on one of the last non-quarantined cruises in March, and visited 2 new favorite places, St. Simon's Island in Georgia and Key West.  If pressed by any supernatural (or Q-like) entity, I also have an answer, if pressed, for my favorite day ever. Answer: The day we went to the Dry Tortugas / Ft. Jefferson National Park.

Globally it has been a rough year, but personally, it was very fulfilling.  We also started exercising and eating a LOT better and I have managed to shave off 40 pounds or 2.85 stone for my UK friends.

Christmas was great, we had the kids and grandkids over and I even 3d printed some of the presents.  I will dig up some pictures, but for our oldest, I printed and pained a model of Hogwarts, I made snowglobes for the grandkids, and I 3d printed a Spirograph art set for the 3-year-old.

My wife gave me an amazing gift, helping (and guiding me) in rearranging and straightening up the Library / Gaming Room.  I had let the clutter start to build up and covered the gaming table with projects that were in progress. Here are the results, and I can start 2021 with space to push troops around.
It is a rather oddly shaped narrow room, but perfect for me.

I keep the 3D Printer there as well

And of course, a small "I Love Me" wall

I hope 2021 brings you peace and happiness. I heard someone say recently that what you do in your home is vastly more important to your success and happiness than what is happening in politics or the news. Plus you have full control over it.  

Now on to gaming...

Last week I was able to get in another solo game of Trench Hammer.  I used almost exactly the same scenario as in my last post (take a look at it for details) except I switch the sides about.  This tome it was a German assault to remove a pesky British machine-gun bunker.

I don't have a blow by blow, but some highlights include:
  • The first three turns I gave the British poor command and control (roll 2d6, pick lowest for activations), this was to simulate the short preparatory bombardment. Starting turn 4 they went to Standard
  • The British had a TOE 1917 platoon with the Rifle and Lewis Sections in the front trench and the Rifle Bombers and Bombers in the second line with the Platoon leader.
  • The Germans had two identical platoons, each with 1 leader, 2 Bombing squads, and an MG 08/15 squad.
  • I gave the Germans superior command and control (roll 2d6, pick highest +1) to reflect motivation and prep for the raid.
The German plan was simple, rapidly break into the British Trenches, have one platoon stay in the front trench to support by fire or act as a reserve, and the other platoon bomb it's way down the communication trench and assault the bunker form the rear.  The plan did not play out like that though.

I did use the Hammer of Democracy assault and damage rules, here are some fo the new unit cards I have printed up.  I will get them posted soon to share.

The initial German rush to the trenches was not as rapid as it should have been, although they managed to bomb their way into the forward sap that held a small sentry unit
On the left flank, the hun managed to assault his way in to the trench, forcing the rifle squad back with a flurry of grenades. 
Trying to do the same on the right flank resulted in a Grenadier Gruppe being wiped out by the Lewis Gun squad before it could get in to the trenches. 
A change of plan was called for and the Huns launched a direct assault on the bunker, hoping to use craters as cover and getting around it to the rear.  They suffered heavy casualties on the way in, as the British had managed to keep most of their force intact by falling back and regrouping as needed.

The finale.  The Germans managed to get around and knock out the Vickers Machine gun but left the bunker itself undamaged.  The British were able to pepper the surviving Germans with Rifle Grenades and Mills Bombs.  In the end, the Germans took 50% casualties while only eliminating the Machine gun (until another could be brought forward.)  The British took far fewer casualties, losing only the Rifle section as combat ineffective, as they judiciously fell back when pressed and regrouped.

Not a good showing or the Germans, a high casualty raid that maybe netted 2 or 3 prisoners and did not really eliminate the bunker as a threat.

Next up, I am going to play a scenario from Too Fat Lardie's Play the Game supplement, so stay tuned.  Until then, goo gaming!

6 comments:

  1. Very nice indeed I have shared your post here https://wargames-directory.com/forums/topic/reflecting-on-2020-and-trench-hammer-german-assault-1917/

    Why not join and share your future work

    Take care

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to seeing how you Trench Hammer some of the other scenarios in the book. It's a great book, but I haven't got around to doing much more than the training scenarios myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see you playing Trench Hammer again.

    What factors and stats did you use for the various squads, trenches and so forth when using the HoD assault rules?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Sorry I am very slow responding. I am using a flat d6 for rifle squads, +1 for bombers if the opponent is not another bombing squad or an assault squad, and assault squads roll 2d6 and pick the highest.

      Works so far, I just finished a nice little version of Too Fat Lardies 'Somme Enchanted Evening' that features French Canadians that I classified as assault troops due to their performance in the battle. They di pretty well, but the 1 hit for every combat they won wore them down and they ran out of steam. The hun sat back and showered them with Grenades from around the corner of the traverse instead of counterattacking and eventually drove them off. Battle report coming up.

      Delete
    2. Thanks.

      Am I right in thinking there's no modifiers for trenches or other cover in assaults when using the opposed roll method?

      Also your reply hints that BOTH sides now automatically take 1 hit instead of just the defender.

      (Are you planning to update Trench Hammer - it will be interesting to see where it goes now that the Hammer system has moved on a little)

      Delete
    3. I am working with Ivan on a version 2 to bring it more in line. Right now I am not giving the defender a bonus for being in cover, but I am getting a few games in and fiddling. I am playing that both the defender and attacker take 1 hit immediately on initiating an assault, as I expect the attacker to take some disorder, and if needed encourage the attacker to stop and take a breather if needed.

      Delete