Search This Blog

Saturday, August 10, 2019

A Pulp Space Ship for $3.16 and my personal 6 x 6 Challenge


As you can see by my two-month hiatus, my hobby time has been constrained. Plus, my attempt at project managing my way to war-gaming success died at the starting gate at my previous attempts have.

I have gotten some painting in, just no time to take pictures and post them. I find painting relaxing, so it has been a good thing.

So… let’s see if I can jump-start things again.


  1. I will be running “Death Temple of Sarnath”  again at Southern Front.  I am excited as I have not been since 2017 and I am really looking forward to this.  It was my Lady Love’s idea, and should be fun!
  2. I know it is two years late, but I am going to do the 6x6 Challenge… Thanks to Captain Kobold for starting this and his inspiring blog. 

  3. The games I am planning on playing are:
  1. 3mm Sci-Fi with my Tank on Tank Variant (pseudo-Slammers)
  2. 10mm WW1 using Trench Hammer
  3. 3mm Korean War  with 5 Core Company Command
  4. 28mm Darkest Africa with The Men Who Would Be Kings
  5. 6mm AWI using Rebels and Patriots
  6. 28mm Pulp using Pulp Alley
As you can see, I have a wide variety of interests and figures. I have selected some of these rules because I have had them and really want to learn them, the 6x6 process will force me to do that

As usual… let’s see if I can stick to the plan.

Now for something different, I needed a Pulp, 1930's style flying saucer for my convention game, but did not want to spend a lot on it. I don't mind if it looks the part of a cardboard Pulp era serial prop, so I managed to go to a five and dime store (seriously that is what it is called) and pull one together for $3.16! Here are a few pictures of the process.
The raw materials, craft wooden flower pots, and little plastic salsa bowls

Glue it all together

Prime it

Paint it with silver paint and spray seal!

Pictured above with Pulp Miniatures Radon Zombies and their mechanical minions bent on dominating the Earth!

The pictures are terrible, but they give you an idea of what you can do. With more effort, you could really doll something like this up, but I mostly just need it as a background prop.

Now to get cracking on my 6 x 6 Challenge, let's see how I do!

5 comments:

  1. Good Luck on the 6x6 challenge! I alas tried but did not make the requisite 6x6; I hope your challenge result ends much better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you! 'Tis better to have striven and failed, let's see if I can make it.

      Delete
  2. Better late than never - good luck on the 6x6. Look forward to the Trench Hammer games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is also forcing me to finish tarting up my trenches a little with some paint. Going to take Too Fat Lardies scenarios and adapt them to Trench Hammer. Thanks!

      Delete