Search This Blog

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Battle Report: British Assault on German held village, 1918



First, I want to promote my friend Ivan Sorensen's Indigogo campaign for Hammer of Democracy, a WW2 set of rules adapted from his squad hammer set.  Just for the record, even though I am the co-author of Trench Hammer, I am not benefiting from this and have thrown my hat (and cash) into the ring.  Please give it a look, I have never supported a crowdfunding campaign, but I know this one will be a good one!

Another go with Trench Hammer this weekend, this time with the wife!  She is long-suffering and the best spouse/opponent a guy could ask for.  She is usually convinced I am cheating, but was willing to dive in and give Trench Hammer a try.

We played a simple British attack on a German-held village, circa mid-1918.

The Germans had 2 grenadier section with bombs, an MG08/15 LMG section, and an MG-08 Maxim HMG.  The British had a standard platoon with a Rifle Section, Bombing Section, Lewis Gun Section, and Rifle Grenade Section.

Apologies for the poor quality pictures, but I was drinking a nice lager at the time and the lighting was poor.  I need some more lamps.  I am not going to do a blow by blow, just an overview, as I was too busy playng to document everything. Anyway, on with the show...
 Here we have the initial setup, with the German defenses arrayed and the British skipping down the road.
 The lead British element took heavy fire from the Maxim, while the Lewis section returned fire.  Meanwhile, the bombers assault the woods
 The Bombers chase the Germans out of the wood, while the Rifle section decides enough is enough and is out fo action.
 The Germans counter-attack the woods but are thrown back.  Meanwhile, the Lewis gun trades fire with the Maxim and the Rifle Grenadiers move behind the other wood to take up a firing position
 The Bombers have completely secured the wood at the top of the picture, after knocking out the German MG08/15 squad.  The Rifle Grenadiers are thrown back when the German bombers sally out of the village to assault them.
 The Bombers get in close and force the Maxim team on top of the hill to fall back.
Here is the German commander, sad at her defeat.. the Bombers manage to infiltrate the village from the flank.  This is a narrow British victory, but the butcher's bill is high.  The Britsh lost their platoon leader, rifle section, and Lewis section and are incapable of further offensive action at this time.

The Germans lost their platoon leader, a Grenade squad, and an LMG squad.  After the British infiltrated into the village and the Maxim pulled back, the remaining combat effective German squad was forced to fall back or face being cut off.

A great game we played in 45 minutes!  She likes it and we will be playing more.  I hope you enjoyed it and contribute to Ivan's new rules if you can.  Until next time, good gaming!

3 comments:

  1. Pretty cool man, thanks for posting. I still have not gotten my WWI troops on the table, BUT, I did play my first three games of Squad Hammer, set in my fake modern setting of "Cuba Libre," though if you throw out the names, it should be readily apparent it's a Vietnam War setting, complete with Vietnam-looking terrain and Vietnam-era figures.

    In any case, I fought my first three battles, lots of fun playing solo to test/figure them out, plan on playing three more next weekend. I plan on having two of them written and posted this week (first one should be tomorrow night), so keep your eyes peeled if you're interested (they'll be on TWW as part of the "Operation Chunky Bandit" thread).

    V/R,
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your Cuba Libre alternative timeline and will keep my eyes peeled. I like the way you are keeping up with the fates of the individual members of the ODA and will continue to follow your progress closely!

      Delete
    2. Thanks buddy, I do what I can. The first batrep is up.

      V/R,
      Jack

      Delete